Monday, November 26, 2012

Nadine's Diary. "Ge such girls"

Monday, Nov. 26, 94.  Dressed and went to breakfast, a little late.  Will came home with me.  Got a group picture and took them home with him.  I went to Shorthand class about half dressed.  Came home.  Pounded Clara around.  Went to type writing.  Lion started to walk home with me and I knew I would meet Will and I didn't know what in the duce* to do for he would be angry if he would see me with him and as luck would have it we met Clara and she ask me to go back to the store with her.  That was only an excuse to get me away from him for we walked back down around East Hall and up home.  Went to Elocution.  To dinner.  Oh my such fun.  The boys came home with us.  Will and I took a walk as usual.  He flirted with some girl but then I told him to just for fun.  We acted simply terrible on the street.  But I didn't care.  Came back.  He came in and stayed till one when he had to go to Latin.  He was so sweet I didn't want him to go.  We saw Lion coming up the street and supposed he was coming to see me so I hid in the bed room and he came in.  Stayed a little while.  Ask for me.  Clara told him I was visiting and would not be home till recital time so he left a picture for me and a note.  "Ge" how I do dislike him.  I wish he would let me alone.  Went to classes.  Moss came home from Shorthand class with me.  Ask me to go to the Opera Tuesday night but declined.  He walked down to the dining hall with me.  The boys came home with us.  Stayed till Clara told them we were going away.  Fred got mad at Clara and went home.  We went down town to meet Mr. Gosset, Clara's old fellow.  Ge how we did bluff* Fred and Will.  We told them we were going to spend the evening with one of the girls down town.  Came home.  I went to bed and left Clara to chat with Gosset.  Will was so sweet it was a shame for me to let him suspicion that we were going to meet some boys.  "Ge" such girls.  
*Duce:  Nadine's spelling of "deuce".  According to the Online Etymology Dictionary:
late 15c., "the 2 in dice or cards," also "a roll of 2 in dice" (1510s), from M.Fr. deus (Mod.Fr. deux (nom. duo) "two".  Became a mild oath by 1710, about 50 years after it was first attested in the sence of "bad luck, the devil, etc.," perhaps because two was the lowest score, and probably by similarity to L. deus and related words meaning "god."  Low German had der daus! in the same sence 16c., which perhaps influenced the English form.
*Bluff:  from the same source.
1839, American English, poker term, perhaps from Du. bluffen "to brag, boast," or verbluffen "to baffle, mislead."  An identical word meant "blindfold, hoodwink" in 1670s but the sense evolution and connection are unclear; OED call it "one of the numerous cant terms... which arose between the Restoration and the reign of Queen Anne."  Extended or figurative sense by 1854.  

No comments:

Post a Comment