Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Lass O'Gowrie

From Susan Hopkins' music collection:  "The Lass O'Gowrie, A Favorite Scotch Melody as Sung by Mr. Dempster.  Arranged for the Piano Forte.  Published by F.D. Benteen, Baltimore. W.T. Mayo, New Orleans."  Mr. Dempster was a celebrated vocalist in the 1830s and 1840s.  This was published around 1832.  For a history of the poem, visit Lass O'Gowrie pub.

To listen to the tune:  Lass o'Gowrie

Also interesting is a C-SPAN program, Music of the 1830s.  I only intended to watch a few minutes, but wound up watching the entire program.  From the description:  "Mr. Lynch, musicians, and scholars talked about the popular music in the 1830s in the U.S. and its role in social functions.  This program focused particularly on Appalachian music.  Several songs from the period were also performed."  Alexis de Tocqueville features in the program.

The Lass O'Gowrie
'Twas on a summer's afternoon, 
A wee before the sun gaed down,
My Lassie wi' a braw new gown
Came o'er the hill to Gowrie,
The rosebud ring'd wi' morning show'rs
Bloom'd fresh within the sunnie bow'rs,
But my Lassie was the fairest flow'r
That ever bloom'd in Gowrie.

I had naw thought to do her wrant,
But round her waist my arms I flang,
And said my Lassie will ye gang
To view the Carse o'Gowrie;
I'll tak' ye to my Father's ha;
In yon green field beside the shaw,
And mak' ye lady o' them a';
The brawest wife in Gowrie.

Saft kisses on her lips I laid,
Sweet blushes on her cheeks soon spread,
She whisper'd modestly and said
"I'll gang wi' ye to Gowrie!"
The auld folks soon gaed their consent,
And to Mess John we quickly went,
Wha tied us to our heart's content,
And how she's Lady Gowrie.

No comments:

Post a Comment