Sunday, December 2, 2012

Remembering Nadine, 1900

William C. Hodges wrote these lines in honor of Nadine Richards on October 29, 1900, while in Tallahassee.  
William C. Hodges, c.1900
LINES
I was a student in a school,
Learning to work and read by rule.
I met a little Miss,
With ruby lips just right to kiss.
Here cheeks were rosy like the mom,
Her gentle eyes were deepest brown.
Here hand was small and very fair,
And loveliest chestnut was her hair.
My heart was given to this young girl,
Willingly to change for a tiny curl, 
I told her I loved her, Oh so very dear,
All my studies I slighted a little, I fear,
After school we'd plan our future life,
With, of course, this maiden for my wife.
But partings come to all on Earth,
Sometimes on the street,Sometimes by hearth.
And so we parted one Spring-time day,
She wept bitter tears when I went away.
In time I wandered to a sunnier land,
Close to the ocean's shimmering sand.
Distance and time makes one forget,
The parting, the tear, the sad regret.
And letters at last come far between,
Each thinks the other cares not so I ween.
At last ours ceased to cross each others track.
None were sent and of course none came back.
As I sit at the eve, I ponder where she went,
And if life's pathway for her was straight or bent.
She was a sweet and tender child, 
Her face most fair, her manner mild.
She lived I know once tenderly,
The object--but a thoughtless Schoolboy me.
And as I wonder sitting in the eve,
Where does she live, what roof beneath.
I hope, ah truly! She is blest,
She's good I know.  May she have rest.
Nadine.

No comments:

Post a Comment