Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bonny Jean

From the sheet music collection of Susan Hopkins:  "Bonny Jean."  Interestingly, Susan's sheet music credits Charles Osborne, whereas others credit John Roberts Thomas.  After some digging, I have found that Charles Osborne was an alias for John Roberts Thomas.  It was published in 1856.  To listen to the tune...
George Linley (1798-1865)
Bonny Jean
O! the summer morn is brightly glowing,
The wild birds wake their song;
And the streamlet, as it softly murmurs,
So gently glides along.
Where the sweet hedge rose is blowing;
In the woodlands green;
There I love to wander,
With my heart's true Queen,
My bonny, bonny, Jean!

Yet, 'tis not the rosy tint of summer,
Nor the song birds joyous lay
Nor the streamlet's soft and murm'ring music,
That makes my heart feel gay;
'Tis her smile that  beams upon me,
'Mid each flow'ry scene;
While I fondly wander
With my heart's true Queen,
My bonny, bonny, Jean!

No comments:

Post a Comment